Sunday, April 21, 2013

Technology Integration Matrix

What an interesting rubric. I feel I am in different places in different subjects.  I am not completely utilizing all the technological tools I could just because I don't have time to sit down and think it through completely so the kids have some guide on what I expect.  There is just so much out there!  I know what I will add for next year, so that I feel is a great thing.  :) If I can change a little this year (and share with a co-worker!) and then add more next year, and then again, (as learning is always evolutionary), then I will feel good and successful. 
For discussion, I will share some things I have done recently with a Reading novel lesson.  We read the book Flipped by Wendelyn Van Draanen.   I took a unit that I had created that was mostly paper/pencil and expanded it to include more tools.  Part of the daily journaling was done paper/pencil as I wanted them to draw "comic" style summaries/main ideas-for next  year, I found some great apps that will allow them to comic online and share that way.  They also had to answer some questions for me using the My Big Campus (MBC) platform.  This I enjoyed as they had specific time frames and it was easier for me to actually look how they were making their inferences and drawing conclusions on what they were reading.  I also had their final exam built into MBC so they could get immediate feedback on some of their exam.  Some were essay so they still had to wait.  They created crossword puzzles using an online creator for one of their vocab assignments so they to think a little deeper on what clues they'd be using.  For their final project they had to create a movie trailer with the iPads and iMovie with a group.  It showed true collaboration and thought as they had to think about what was really important enough to include and then how to portray that without speaking (the trailer utilized background music!).  Some I had to get back on track as they got  lost in the "fun" of it vs what their end goal was, but they were back online quickly enough. For next year, I'd like to add a discussion/chat on their thoughts on what they read each day, perhaps add how it is similar to their lives.  I'd also like to tie in some more background on what is discussed in this book (mental retardation, the development of chicks, etc.) so they learn "more" and develop more background knowledge, which makes them better all around! I didn't do this for other novels we read.  I will hopefully take what I did with this, since I feel it was successful, and expand it to others. Perhaps ask the kids to design something that would make learning about a novel more interesting-have them research relevant topics within the novel.  It is a process!
Where would I rate myself in each area?  I am definitely beyond basic but definitely not transformed.  I switch back and forth in the three middle, probably mostly adoption and adaption. I feel the kids are active, collaborative, and a little constructive.  With the plans for next year, that could be more evident.
Where do you think you could reasonably be by the end of the year?  If this year's growth is any indication, I hope to be closer to transformation, possibly infusion.  It is a process that takes time, of which I already don't have, but hope to find.
What steps will you need to take in order to make the growth happen?
Professional development/coursework. find more time!  Collaborate more with others to learn and glean what they have accomplished and how.

No comments:

Post a Comment