Sunday, May 19, 2013

Module 8- Using social media in the classroom

I don't know if I have an opinion on that yet.  I haven't had time to actually study and figure out how I'd use them effectively.  I  currently teach 6th grade and it amazes me how many students have Facebook accounts already at that age as almost all of them aren't yet 13.  If you want to reach someone, share news, etc. Facebook is the way to go, so I can see that aspect.  People are always connected.  I am not sure about crossing the line into Facebook "educationally" when kids are still in our guardianship of public/private school.  It is a "social" media and it seems maybe, I don't know, a bit furry/gray.  I know that as technology evolves, more and more lines are going to be furry and gray.  There is so much to consider.  I am not sure kids could keep their social world and their educational world separate.  I will have to do some research and perhaps survey some students to see how they'd react to this possible use and how they could see it being used.  Kids are often very insightful!  I am looking forward to reading the blogs of classmates on this topic, as I am sure those that interact daily with older students will perhaps have definitive opinions. 
My alternative to Facebook for my 6th grade class is My Big Campus.  I can't say enough about it.  It is fantastic and offers so much in a "safer" monitored setting.  The kids can chat/discuss/post and we can monitor their comments and these are quite often "teachable" moments as to what is appropriate or not.  We use it "educationally" and the added bonus for the kids is they also "get to" post/chat/etc., so they get a "social" experience as well.  
I think sometimes cosmic karma kicks in.  I was trying to think through what my thoughts really are so I stepped away for a bit.  I flipped open our daily newspaper, and an article catches my eye:  Mother is now your "friend".  "Interesting," I thought. It discusses the fact that kids don't always want their parents knowing things about their personal lives, and by being their friend, they do.  And that kids are trying to develop their own identities and having their parents, "hovering" may hinder that process. What about: Teacher is now your "friend". Would we be crossing that line also?  Is our role also parentis absentia? Or not?  This will require some thought and insight on our parts as well.
On, another note, I just recently set up a Twitter account and am "practicing" in the hopes of using that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment